Some of you know that I've been battling this nasty rash. After a horrible experience with prescribed prednisone I took matters into my own hands. I put on my armor and prepared for war! Yeah! I did my research, armed myself with all kinds of remedies and went to battle. Shock and awe baby... shock and awe! ;)
Seriously though I do want to share some sites I found and information that has been very helpful. I have decided, though, that for the most part poison ivy has to run it's course. It's a matter of finding the right remedy to ease the discomfort.
I've tried lots of stuff. You should see my kitchen table, but I've narrowed it down to a few favorites.
1. Witch Hazel w/ Rescue Remedy Flower Essence: This has been a life safer!! I found a small spray bottle, filled it with the witch hazel and added about 8 drops of Rescue Remedy. Love that. It's cooling and calming.
2. Vitamin C: I bought C-Plus Citrus Bioflavonoid Caps by Twinlab taking 1,000mg by the hour if necessary. This really helps take the edge off. I can tell when it's time to take another dose because the itch intensifies. FYI - when you're body has had enough Vit. C you'll get diarrhea. If that happens just back off a bit.
3. Aveeno Bath Treatment: This is an oatmeal bath that I found to be ok. It did feel pretty nice and made my skin very soft.
4. Hot Oatmeal Packs: Ok so I'm still trying to perfect this (as I'm not out of the woods yet). This really feels good but it's messy. Basically make oatmeal and smear it on. Wrap it with plastic wrap or even gauze. I don't like to let it dry because removing the dried oatmeal flares the itch up. Leave it on about 20-30 minutes. When rinsing it off I like to leave some of the starchy residue. It feels silky and is very calming.
5. EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique): I've been working with this especially this morning and seem to be getting quite a bit of relief. This will take some studying and/or a practitioner.
If I can say a word about the emotional root of poison ivy, the root emotion is fear that can be expressed through guardedness, caution, vulnerability, defenselessness and open for attack. I have been going over what was going on in my life at the time I broke out with the rash and using EFT to release the emotions. It certainly is helping - quite amazing!
Ok so these are my top 5 favorite remedies to date. I've tried a lot of other things including your typical over the counter meds but so far nothing compares.
If you have a favorite remedy please do share.
My research included:
Prescription for Nutritional Healing
Discovering Wholeness by Cheryl Townsley
You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay