Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Are you blooming?

At first glance the plant in the picture looks like some kind of green shrub that could maybe use a little weeding.  Doesn't really look all too bad to a passerby.  What one wouldn't know is that this little green shrub is supposed to be a rose bush.  A very special rose bush at that.  A special rose bush that has been ignored for several years.

Today was the day I gave this special plant some tender loving care.  As I did so I couldn't help but think about some life parallels that I thought would be right for beginning this blog.

So you're going along in life doing your thing day in and day out until one day you wake up and wonder what the heck happened.  Who am I?  Who have I become?  Is this really me?  You've become someone you just don't recognize. 

Or maybe you find that you present yourself in a way that in your heart of hearts you know isn't your truth.  You still find yourself asking similar questions of "who am I" and "how do I let the real me come out".

Or it's possible that you've manifested some health problems or on the edge of some serious health problems that has you in shock.  Been there done that myself ... and my questions was ... how did I get here?!

(Actually?  I have found myself at various times in my life in all of these examples asking those exact questions.)

I would imagine that if this pictured plant had a mouth and could speak it would be asking these same kinds of questions.

Today I faced this plant, assessed it, and went to work.  I had to carefully figure out what was the rose bush and what wasn't. There was some kind of vine type of weed that rooted itself deep, growing wildly choking out the beautiful rose.  I pulled, chopped, and cut that weed until all that was left was a scraggly rose bush. Then I had to prune what was left so that it will grow strong and, hopefully, next summer bloom again. 

I couldn't help but think as I was doing this work today that this is exactly what we have to do in life.  I've done it.  I'm still doing it.  Sometimes weeds grow up around us and we don't always realize it until we're nearly choked out.  Once we recognize what's going on we have to get in there and pull and yank, cut, and prune, which can take many forms.  The good news for us is that it doesn't take long to start seeing results.  

Face it, assess it, and get to work.  Simple but not always easy.  Regardless I encourage you to embrace and love yourself right where you are.  My prayer as you visit this blog is that you find encouragement in your journey so that you can bloom into the person you were created to be.  Along the way I'll be sharing techniques that are so nurturing, caring, loving, and even fun that it doesn't always feel like work.  Sometimes all it takes is a little tweaking to sprout and/or bloom.

                                                        Good 'n Plenty Shrub Rose
                                                                          Shrub Rose


No comments: